Reported in the Health Service Journal, the long-term plan will likely expand the use of apps for self-care and accelerate the rollout of regional patient records, NHS Digital has said.
In a paper that went to the board on Wednesday, NHS Digital said, while the plan itself had been delayed, it was “expected” to include priorities for digital technology.
These would include:
- A focus on digital tools for patients for prevention and self-care;
- Technology to support new clinical pathways for maternity, mental health, diabetes, child and adolescent, and end of life care;
- Promoting “digital offers for primary care”;
- Speeding up the rollout of regional shared electronic patient records, called local health and care record exemplars, with a focus on population health;
- Continuing the rollout of electronic patient records for trusts; and
- Using NHS data to better support research and innovation.