- Post title: Patient Involvement and Engagement (Maternity cover)
- Contract type: Full time / temporary (part time role will be considered)
- Location: Sheffield
- Salary: up to £30,000 per annum dependent on experience
- Closing date: End of May 2018
The European Lung Foundation (ELF) is seeking a confident, outgoing candidate for an exciting and varied role in the area of patient and public involvement, based in central Sheffield.
ELF was founded by a professional medical organisation called the European Respiratory Society (ERS) in 2000 with the aim of bringing together patients and the public with respiratory professionals to positively influence respiratory medicine. ELF covers all lung conditions across all European countries.
ELF does this in two ways: 1. by making patients and the public aware of the work being done by the ERS via the ELF website, factsheets, press releases and public awareness campaigns; and 2. by facilitating the involvement of patients and the public in the activities of ERS, including its annual conference, guideline production and patient-centred research.
ELF is seeking a strong candidate to take over the role of Patient involvement and engagement within the organisation for a period of maternity cover.
Aims of the role include:
- Managing and developing patient involvement in all ERS activities
- Working with specific ERS and ELF projects to ensure that patients are able to productively input and lead where appropriate
- Coordinating the ELF Advisory Committee of patient organisations
- Coordinating specific Patient Advisory Groups in different topic areas
- Helping manage the involvement of patient organisations in the ERS International Congress
- Advocating for the role of patients, carers and patient organisations within science and healthcare, specifically in the respiratory arena
- Working with other members of the ELF team on patient input into EU-funded projects
Skills required for the role include:
- Education to undergraduate or postgraduate degree level
- A background in patient and public involvement (PPI)
- Experience of carrying out consultation work with patients and the public, such as surveys, focus groups and interviews
- Experience of systematic reviewing useful
- Confidence to communicate by email, phone and face-to-face with patients and the public and professionals from across Europe
- Great organisational and writing skills, with some experience of websites
- Experience of communicating complicated concepts simply
- Strong team player as well as confident working as an individual
- European experience or European language skills beneficial
- Limited European travel will be a part of the role
The position is temporary and full time, but good candidates wanting a part time role will be considered.
Please send a CV and covering letter outlining why you would be suitable for the position to Pippa Powell.