- Job title: Communications and Education Coordinator, European Lung Foundation
- Location: ELF Office, Sheffield
- Salary: £25,000-£30,000
- Full Time: Permanent
- Closing Date: 11 January 2019
The European Lung Foundation are looking for a dynamic and motivated Communications and Education Coordinator to manage and develop the production of educational material and other resources with the aim of engaging and informing patients, the public and policy makers about lung health.
The European Lung Foundation (ELF) was founded by a professional medical organisation called the European Respiratory Society (ERS; www.ersnet.org) in 2000 with the aim of bringing together patients and the public with respiratory professionals to positively influence respiratory medicine.
The ELF does this in two ways:
1. By making patients and the public aware of the work being done by the ERS via the ELF website (www.europeanlung.org), factsheets, press releases and public awareness campaigns; and
2. By allowing patients and the public to play a role in the activities of the ERS, including its annual conference and its scientific research.
ELF works alongside experts in the field from across Europe to produce high-quality educational material and maintain an accessible and informative website speaking to a multilingual audience of patients, public and policy makers.
As the Patient Communications and Education Coordinator, you will manage and develop the production of educational material and other resources with the aim of engaging and informing patients and the public about lung health.
You will have a keen awareness of the need to reach multilingual and multicultural audiences and the capacity to adapt content for people from a variety of backgrounds. A forward-thinker, you will also be happy to travel in Europe to attend meetings and events across the continent.
- Work with the ELF team to develop, design and produce engaging and reliable patient education material, including factsheets, patient guidelines and other online content
- Take a lead on expanding the current output of educational material to ensure ELF is utilising the latest digital platforms and identifying new possibilities to reach all audiences
- Liaise with respiratory professionals on the production of educational material
- Maintain the ELF website, with interesting and informative updates aimed at a range of stakeholders, and monitor relevant analytics
- Daily monitoring of respiratory news and appropriate articles selected and written about for ERS and ELF audiences
- Manage the translation of educational material and website content into other languages, as well as ensuring that it is appropriate for the audience
- Develop material for social media and press activities.
Lead on the ELF/ERS Healthy Lungs for Life public awareness campaign (healthylungsforlife.org)
- Attend the Annual Congress of the European Respiratory Society and assist with other meetings or events as may be reasonably required
Skills required for the role
- Relevant experience of producing patient/lay publications and educational material, ideally in the healthcare sector
- Excellent written and spoken English, with experience of writing and editing for different audiences
- Knowledge or background in European Languages
- Experience of using content management systems to update websites
- Confidence in all forms of social media and how to use them for best effect in the not for profit sector
- Experience of copywriting and proof-reading with close attention to detail
- Experience of communicating complicated concepts simply
- Experience of using InDesign to typeset documents
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with healthcare professionals and patients
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise workload
- Capacity to manage different projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter outlining why you would be suitable for the position to Pippa Powell, ELF Director, 442 Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2PX. firstname.lastname@example.org