This blog published by the Picker Institute, by Kath Evans, Experience of Care Lead for Maternity, Infants, Children and Young People at NHS England, and PIF Advisory Group member, reflects on the findings from the 2016 Children and Young Person’s Survey, and calls on some of the leading voices in the UK’s children’s health care sector to share their views. The blog covers the following points:
- We need to keep working at involving children and young people more in their care.
- We need to ensure staff in general paediatric areas are trained in mental health as well as physical care
- A continuous focus on pain management, particularly for those with complex needs, is important
- Play is the business of childhood, but as child health professionals are we giving it the priority children are asking for?
- We need to care for the parents and carers, too