I qualified as a nurse (RGN, adult general) 1987. After a career break to have a family I returned to nursing in the 1990’s, initially working on the nurse bank and then more specifically within the fields of oncology and haematology.
When a new Cancer Information Centre opened in Norwich in late 1998 I became interested in learning more about this so I started working there as a volunteer answering patient enquiries. Later I became Centre Co-ordinator. I have been working in various information and support roles ever since. These include:
• NHS Direct Nurse Advisor
• Cancer Services User Group Facilitator
• Prostate Cancer Charity Specialist Nurse and Information Writer
• Macmillan Information Service Manager
• Macmillan Information Specialist
• Freelance Information Writer
I have been involved with many different areas and projects relating to patient information including:
• Information Prescriptions
• Information Standard
• Information Pathways
• Outreach and mobile services
• Macmillan Libraries Project
• Setting up new services
• Quality and audit
My previous role with Big C – a charity working with those affected by cancer in Norfolk and also in parts of North Suffolk (Waveney area) involved links with many professionals and organisations as well as with patients and those close to them.
I am currently working as a Macmillan Cancer Information & Support Specialist with the Macmillan Mobile Information Service.